(Bloomberg) — Philippine media giant ABS-CBN Corp. rose by the 50% daily limit after announcing the return to free-to-air television of some of its entertainment shows three months since it was denied a congressional permit.
Shares closed at 13.50 pesos each on Wednesday in Manila trading, the highest since July 22, even as the index fell by 0.7%. It also rallied by 50% on Monday, then slumped 15% the next day. Shares of its parent company Lopez Holdings Corp. also rose by 21% on Wednesday.
Technical staff work on videos and other reports inside the newsroom of the ABS-CBN Corp. Broadcasting Centre in Metro Manila, the Philippines, on May 12.
Photographer: Veejay Villafranca/Bloomberg
Philippine Media Giant Criticized by Duterte Returns to Free TV
ABS-CBN has stopped broadcast since May when the government
The U.S. has reached 200,000 deaths from the coronavirus. Now experts are looking ahead, and the forecast for the fall and winter isn’t good.
WASHINGTON – The Senate prepared Wednesday evening to vote on a spending measure to keep federal agencies running hours before the government was set to shut down.
The legislation, which is likely to pass in a largely bipartisan vote, would go to President Donald Trump, who is likely to give final approval to the bill. The federal annual spending bill expires at midnight, meaning Congress has to act Wednesday to keep the government open.
Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., said during his weekly news conference Wednesday that the chamber would pass the bill “sometime tonight.”
A government shutdown in the midst of a global pandemic could be devastating as many Americans struggling financially because of COVID-19 are more reliant on the federal
A Vancouver welcome centre for immigrants and refugees is once again hosting families fleeing hardship elsewhere in the world after sitting virtually empty during the summer months.
According to Statistics Canada, only three refugees arrived in B.C. between April and June compared to 202 during the same period last year.
Now, after an almost three month suspension of Canada’s resettlement program due to coronavirus concerns, the Immigration Services Society of B.C., (ISS of B.C.) is helping 16 families settling in the Lower Mainland this fall.
“The whole system has had to adjust,” Chris Friesen, the director of settlement services for ISS of B.C., told CBC Tuesday.
Friesen said the system began opening up again in late August when the International Organization of Migration, the inter-governmental organization that issues travel documents for refugees, reopened abroad.
New national protocols have also been established in response to virus risks, including pre-screening